Join The International Festival of 1,008 Book Distributors!

Friday, October 29, 2010

Happy 90 minutes

Bharani Mataji met an American lady who mentioned that she practices Ayurveda and is very interested in knowing more about the activities of the soul. Bharani Mataji encouraged her to read the book and visit the temple.

I showed Bhagavad Gita to an Arabic lady she was so respectful to Gita and her face brightened as soon as she touched it. She eagerly heard about the glories of Gita and she wanted to buy the book. Then her daughter came and told that she doesn't know how to read English, but the mom was very determined to just have the Gita with her. She secured the book in her bag and asked if it is okay if she drops the money in my car on her way back from the shopping. I said "yes". She said she is very happy that I trusted her. How can I not trust someone who has so much enthusiasm to have Gita in a language that she doesn't even know how to read! Sure enough, when I came back, money was there in my car. I wish I had the same respect towards Gita.

I met an American lady from Washington DC, As soon as she saw the Gita she asked "Who is your Guru?" I showed Prabhupad's picture and explained about his mission. She mentioned that her parents taught her about transcendental meditation when she was very young & she is now teaching the deaf and dumb students in a non-profit organization. She was very appreciative of Prabhupad's mission and happily gave donation.

Though people were in the morning rush, many stopped to hear about the book. One Indian lady was very happy to get the book packet and eagerly inquired about our programs. In the end, I met a Chinese Lady; she took the book packet in hand and very eagerly listened to the explanations about the books. Then I mentioned that we accept some donations to cover the printing cost and also use it in other services that we do to the community. As soon as she heard the word donation she gave them back and said she will try some other time. I spoke a little more and she again rejected. The more she rejected the more I felt like encouraging her to take the book. I was praying to Nityananda to inspire her from within because she was very eager in the beginning. Finally, this concept of appreciation came into my mind, I told her, let me tell you the truth, if it were someone else I will not encourage them this much but I see that inquisitiveness in you. Your look so bright:-) I am sure this book will help you. As soon as she heard this she gave 3 quarters.:-) The happiness that I feel when I receive my bonus checks seemed worthless when I received those 3 quarters from her!

All glories to Nityananda! Srila Vrindavan Das Thakur prays, "I worship Lord Nityananda, the unlimited root of the tree of devotional service. He traveled on every path singing and dancing and repeating, "Hari! Hari!" Without considering His own interests, He was merciful to the people and he gave them His merciful side long glance."

I had already missed many meetings @ work (because of an emergency appointment @ Cupertino (Sankirtana) school:-). Happy 90 minutes felt like very few seconds & we realized that this is how devotional service is "joyfully performed"!.

Param Vijayate Sri Krishna Sankirtanam!
-Sanatana Gandharvika Mataji

Harinam performance held on 10/22/10 in Palo Alto was fantastic far surpassing my expectations. Though the weather was mostly cloudy with some rain at times in the neighbouring areas, there was no rain at the Harinam place. Many devotees participated with great enthusiasm despite being a cloudy weather day.
---Ramananda Sakha das

No comments:

Post a Comment