Join The International Festival of 1,008 Book Distributors!

Friday, May 6, 2011

Lessons learnt on the path of Sankirtan

Dear Devotees,

Please accept my humble obeisances, all glories to Srila Prabhupada!

This score counts for Sunday School kids, who have a goal of distributing at
least 250 books for this MSF of Anartha Nivritti.

Devotees participated: Advaita and Kamesvari devi dasi

Book Packs-6(*4) =24
BG Hard-1
Krishna Book-1
Science of Self Realization-1
Spanish-1
Total Books=28
Total Lakshmi=$30.82


At first home, an Indian family was having lunch. When we showed books, they
washed their hands, invited us in the home. They did not want to touch the
books saying that they were eating meat. I showed books turning different
pages and pictures, they liked Krishna book but hesitant to buy saying on
Sundays they generally eat meat and not sure of buying a holy book. We had
short discussion on how these books won't get contaminated instead they will
purify the home, they agreed, meanwhile Advaita made friends with their son
Chaitanya. I kept the book on their bookshelf as they requested and they
donated $15.

At another door, when I showed Bhagavad Gita, one person got really mad
saying that it was disturbing to him and other people as well if we go
knocking peoples doors. He went on saying many things how he did not like it
at all. In all these years this was the strongest reaction I ever saw, very
purifying actually. I apologized and we left. Advaita was sad and he asked
why he was mad. I talked to him may be the person was not feeling well or
may be upset with something or may be he did not know how important books
are. I was concerned about Advaita. We sat in the car, I said a prayer out
loud to the Lord and Gurumaharaj for strength and protection during
Sankirtan so that we can continue and not get discouraged at that point, at
any point. When I finished the prayer, Advaita said a big Hari Bol! I was
glad that he cheered up and we continued for more.

While praying within the heart, I knocked another door, the person was
actually waiting to have a Bhagavad Gita and he immediately took one for $8
and happily posed for the picture. A person in wheelchair took a book pack
and agreed for the picture. There was an 88 year old lady living by herself,
her eyes weak and could not read anymore. When mentioned about how she can
still hear she thought it was good idea to keep herself engaged, but I did
not have any audio CD with me and told her that I will bring one to her
soon. She appreciated our efforts and donated $1 did not take any books. One
Mexican person riding the bicycle took a Spanish copy. While driving back we
saw him under a tree immersed in reading the book.

By Lord's mercy we met these nice people and Advaita enjoyed giving books
and taking pictures. After meeting an angry person, meeting nice people I
felt was definitely Lord�s arrangement simply to encourage us. And the
lesson was never to forget that on Sankirtan it�s not always easy but the
Lord always protects us and our faith in Him.

Param Vijayate Sri Krishna Sankirtanam!

ys

Kamesvari devi dasi

No comments:

Post a Comment