Join The International Festival of 1,008 Book Distributors!

Monday, June 7, 2010

Following in the footsteps of ISV sankirtan model

Dear Vaisesika Prabhuji
pamho
AgtSP

Following the many months of association with Glorious Sankirtan Generals AT isv like you I had learned something about book distribution. When I came here to Bangalore I saw that the book distribution program is very much lackluster compared to ISV. I thought I should try to implement a few things that I had learned from you. Emulating the Walmart Model, I decided to target the big malls in Bangalore where there is a lot of foot fall. So I started with one mall named Big Bazaar near my residence. I made friends with the Store Manager, took prasadam for him regularly and befriended him. Somehow by Krishna's mercy he liked my company. He allowed me to distribute books on his store premises. I asked him if he could put in a word to all his other friends. In a span of two weeks we have got permission to distribute books from about 7 different malls across the city with another 3 to added to the list starting this week.

I then started targeting Railway Stations in Bangalore that are packed with people always. We found out about devotees who work in the Secretariat and are working with the Deputy Regional Manager for the Railways to secure permission to setup spots at the Railway Stations and also have volunteers walking across the different platforms to distribute books. We hope to receive the green signal this week. While chanting my rounds last week I kept hearing "Hospitals" in my head. I sometimes feel I day dream or dont chant with proper attention, I thought it to be a passing phase. However I realised that I was being prompted to target hospitals for book distribution. I've found out about devotees in the congregation who work in hospitals and they are helping arranging a meeting for me with the Management. I am planning on meeting a few big hospital groups to have a copy of 'Beyond Birth & Death" and also "Bhagavad-Gita" in every room. Please keep us in your prayers so we can become successful in these two projects.

For the Marathon, the Bangalore ISKCON Temple in Seshadripuram has started advertising in the Radio on a local channel called RED FM, which is heard by over 2-3 million people daily, for anyone to purchase a copy of the Gita for just Rs 99 simply by sending an SMS to 56066 with the word GITA for a FREE home delivery. We're also advertising radio ads called 'jingles' on RED FM that run for about 30 seconds about the offer to get a Gita for half the regular price (Rs99) along with a spiritual message. There is a program from 6am-7am every Sunday like a radio talk show where people can call in and ask questions on the Gita or simply describe how the Gita has helped them in their lives. This has also been a good venue for the Gitas to be distributed as many people who did not have the Gita, ordered for one after hearing the program. Maybe ISV could try that on NPR or some local channel.

I'm trying to become friends with the MLA(political leader) in the area where I live, so we can get additional traction and help in Government offices. I've made friends with the friend of his PA. Long way to go but let's hope something works out. There are a lot of Government entities here in Bangalore like BHEL, BEL, HAL, BEML, etc (similar to NASA, Pentagon,etc). We know of one devotee who just got transferred to BEL Bangalore. We're taking his help to see if we can work out to get bulk orders from these corporates. Could you send me the contact information of the devotee in Mumbai who does corporate Sankirtan?

As promised it would be really helpful and encouraging if you could give a 15-20 min video presentation on Book Distribution for the devotees in Bangalore to help encourage them so they feel inspired to distribute Srila Prabhupada's books. I have talked to the TP and he said he can give me a 20 minute window immediately after the Sunday Feast Lecture so I can show your video.

Working out all the logistics and all the background services is also no easy task keeping in mind Bangalore's widely distributed congregation with the city's traffic, etc. I realize how much work Praveena and Malini have done for all MSF's at ISV.

Finally the numbers ... about 2000 Gitas in 2 weeks just from the malls. All books should be around 3-4k in two weeks. The goal is to distribute 30000 Gitas. But I highly doubt if even 10000 books is possible. We need help, inspiration and blessings.


YS
Narahari dev das

No comments:

Post a Comment